Career and youth transitions
Parents are a major influence in their children’s career development and career decision making.
Research indicates that when students feel supported and loved by their parents, they have more confidence in their own ability to research careers and to choose a career that would be interesting and exciting. This is important because studies show that adolescents who feel competent regarding career decision-making, tend to make more satisfying career choices later in life (Keller 2004).
Parents also influence the level of education or training that their children achieve; the knowledge they have about work and different occupations; the beliefs and attitudes they have to working; and the motivation they have to succeed. While most of this is learned unconsciously – children and teenagers absorb their parents attitudes and expectations of them as they grow up.
Some of the key influencers are:
- Expectations parents have for their children’s education and career
- The example adult influence sets for children
- The values they show to their family, friends and to society
- The opportunities they offer their children to learn and develop
- The kind of parent-child relationship they develop.
Tips to help your child’s career development:
- Encourage them to explore their innate talents and skills
- Encourage their educational pursuits
- Explore and help develop their knowledge of the world of work
- Encourage opportunities and conversations that explain real life examples of work in practice.
Looking for ways to help your student with career choices?
- MYFUTURE is Australia’s free online career information service that helps career planning, career pathways and work transitions. CLICK HERE
- THE JOB GUIDE provides an in-depth look at a range of occupations, and their education and training pathways. It also gives useful information about how to work out what occupations suit you best, based on student interests and abilities. CLICK HERE
- MYSKILLS provides up-to-date information on training courses for school leavers, students, apprentices, and employers. CLICK HERE
- JOB OUTLOOK is a careers and labour market research information site to help decide on your future career. CLICK HERE
- AUSTRALIAN JOB ACTIVE is a free online jobs website. It is funded and operated by the Australian Government to help job seekers find employment and connect employers with quality staff. CLICK HERE